Falmer an Ancient Parish
Before the Conquest the abbey of Wilton held the manor of FALMER in the parish of Falmer. Initially the manor was the principal unit of local administration and justice.
The maps below show the civil parish boundaries for Falmer.
The map shows the ancient boundaries of the parishes of Falmer and Stanmer before any boundary changes.
Falmer is a large parish covering Downland to the north-east of Brighton. Its area forms a long strip 4 miles long and a mile and a half wide, stretching north-eastwards from Falmer Hill. The total area was 4393 acres including 242 acres in the detached area.
The area of the parish of Stanmer was 1341 acres.
In the Elizabethan period some civil responsibilities were passed to the Ecclesiastical authorities, which replaced the manor court as the rural administrative centre and levied local taxes, one of which was known as a tithe. Other taxes include church rates (to maintain the fabric of the church), poor rate (to maintain the poor) and highway rate (to maintain parish roads). Until 1894 the Parish Clerk would have been responsible for dealing with these matters. After 1894 the Parish Council would have taken on the responsibility.
Elizabethan Poor Laws Falmer Parish Continued
Justice & Civil administration