Norman asks. "How did the Bevendean Hotel come to be so named when it is in Moulsecombe?"
The most likely answer is that the Bevendean Hotel was built on land which was originally part of Bevendean Farm and not part of the Moulsecoomb estate.
The Front of the Bevy in December 2014.
The New Bar in the Bevy in December 2014.
The Brighton Licensing Justices first granted a licence for the Bevendean Hotel in March 1934. This may have been when construction was starting.
On the 10 June 1936 the Brighton Borough Petty Sessional Division issued a full licence for the Bevendean Hotel when changes to the saloon bar and toilets were almost finished. By the 14th September 1936 work was still in progress due to the difficulties in obtaining some of the materials needed to finish the alterations.
The Bevendean Hotel was closed in May 2010.
Local residents have raised money to reopen the hotel as a community pub providing a meeting room as well as somewhere to have a snack and a drink.
If you have memories of the Bevendean Hotel please send them to the website.
More on the Bevendean Hotel and the Bevy in the Estates section.
Link to The Bevy http://www.thebevy.co.uk