The government saw the need to replace a lot of substandard housing and build more homes. They also realised that it would be necessary to erect a large number of temporary houses with a life expectancy of 10 to 15 years.
Following objections to the use of this site, which was meant to be an open space, it was decided at a Council meeting on the 12 July 1945 to site 66 temporary houses on the Lower Bevendean Estate, where Heath Hill Avenue is today. These were part of a total of 500 prefabs built in Brighton immediately after the war.
The prefabs were built to a standard design, by a number of manufacturers using a variety of materials. The council considered 4 designs, "Arcon", "Uni-Seco", "Tarran" and the "Portal" Steel House. They appear to have chosen the Uni-Seco bungalows as they had much to recommend them, including better external appearance; and a generally more 'homely' treatment of the walls and ceilings.
No 69 Heath Hill Avenue with flower beds of red, white and blue flowers to celebrate the coronation in 1953.
This colour photograph shows the prefabs in the late 1950s with Plymouth Avenue on the hill behind. In the background is a farm track which went upto Warren Road and the top of Race Hill.